Hydro-Informatics Centre (HIC)
- 1991 – Hydro-Informatics discipline in IHE was born
- May 30th, 1994 – A Myanmar student awarded as 1stD. of Hydro-Informatics in IHE, Delft, NL
- May 15th, 1995 – International Conference on Water Sector Reform in Myanmar, ISS, The Hague, NL
- 1997 – Conference on Constitutional Protection of Myanmar’s Water and Environment
- 2000 – Joining the Global Water Partnership (from NL)
- 2001 – Water and Peace documentary made in Myanmar
- 2002 – Myanmar Water Partnership activities began
- 2003 until 2011 – Capacity Building by non-state actors
- 2011-12 – Green Economy and Green Growth activities
- 2012 – SWRDSC was formed by the President of Myanmar
- 2012-13 – SWRDSC to NWRC – National Water Resources Committee
Location of HIC
- 2013 to 2015: Yangon Technological University
- 2015 – 1st Young Water Professionals Training HIC on the premises of YTU
- 2016 – 2nd Young Water Professionals Training HIC on the premises of DWIR (implementing agency of AIRBM Project)
Hydro-Informatics Centre is mandated by NWRC – future water operation centre in making – DSS (or) decision support organ of NWRC. In order to guide the development of the Ayeyarwady River Basin, the NWRC has mandated the Hydro-Informatics Centre (HIC) to assist in the preparation of a Basin Master Plan. This exercise is proposed to be divided into phases as follows:
- Preparation of a State of the Basin Report and Identification of Early, No Regret, Investment Opportunities
- Preparation of a Basin Master Plan that will provide a Framework for Development of Policies, Programs, and Investments.
Current Status of HIC
HIC is overseen by AIRBM Project Director, directed by the Component 1 Director. Day-to-day management is done by C1 Director and Coordinator. Project consultants, both local and international, will be hired for Master Plan, Groundwater survey, environmental and social assessment, etc. Researchers and supporting staff recruitment is in progress.
Young Water Professionals (YWP) training programme – 29 YWPs have already finished the training (1st Batch). Six HIC’s alumni from the water related ministries (DWIR, DMH, MoAI, MoECF, MoEP) have became contact persons in their mother departments. The second batch has begun in 13th June 2016.
HIC’s Main Activity
- HIC has been tasked to produce information, products, DSS and other supporting mechanisms like stakeholders forum, etc.
- Producing products that give them choices – (a) to successful path ways to reach sustainable development – (b) universally agreed Sustainable Development Goals (17 SDGs)
- To provide fairness to stakeholders
Future of HIC
- Water Operation Centre for NWRC
- Water Sector Advising Serving System generator
- Decision Support Systems for clients (governments, private sector, universities, institutions, associations, NGOs, research groups, foundations, development partners, and individuals
- Water Capacity Building Centre
- Knowledge Base
- Resource Base
- Self-reliance national knowledge body, a reliable platform for execution of Government’s major projects with peoples’ interest
- HIC’s business model is that after the WB project, it will become a research-based non-profit consultancy firm for the government of Myanmar, universities, research centers, other institutions and clients. It will remain apolitical for the sake of integrity.